Saturday, November 27, 2010

Wanda Coleman - HIGH PRIESTESS OF WORD


Wanda Coleman - HIGH PRIESTESS OF WORD
Originally uploaded by n69n

HIGH PRIESTESS OF WORD
#99 in my RECORD COLLECTION series

Dr.Nina Simone was known as The High Priestess of Soul, and there's a reason Wanda Coleman's moniker echoes hers.
Wanda Coleman tells stories of realness.
Of kids sent to the liquor store. Of fat girls who like to fuck. Of finding yourself trapped in a system that never expected you to be smart or talented.

"They will make you PAY 'til paying feels like PRIVILEGE"

Wanda's words tell of growing up in 1960's LA, giving a full picture of civil rights, sexual awakening, music that mattered, Vietnam, making the political personal. You will learn new levels of empathy from The High Priestess Of Word.

"If you so smart, why ain't you RICH?!?!"

Those words have haunted Wanda all her life, and I identify. Why do we let the financial failures trump all of our other successes?
While I was drawing Wanda Coleman, I heard the negative voice in my head say, "Why are you drawing Wanda? You've only ever met 4 other people in the world who even know who she is. Who is this gonna resonate with? Why bother if no one knows who she is?"

& that is precisely WHY I had to include Wanda Coleman; because people SHOULD know about her. If I don't honor her, who will?

And it's an affirmation that I am not in this for the money; I am in it to tell the truth.

Available as PRINT: www.redbubble.com/people/norncutson/art/6312591-2-high-pr...

Available as T: www.redbubble.com/people/norncutson/t-shirts/6312648-2-hi...

No comments:

Post a Comment

*thank you*